Sunday, July 18, 2010

Favorite Drugstore Lipsticks (for dry lips)

To be honest for a long time I hated to wear lipsticks, because they were not compatible with my dry lips. I had the feeling that they are going to dry out my lips even more.
The only option I had were lipglosses, but I was never a huge fan of these. I did not like this kind of wet feeling on my lips and the fact that they do not really last long was a disadvantage as well.
I know times have changed & quality has improved. Now I’m also investing money on lipglosses as well. Note: INVESTING is the key term. I have found out that I have to go for high end brands, when I’m searching for a glossy lip product.
But I think there is a good & less expensive drugstore alternative, which makes me really happy. I like to have different options, when it comes to lip colors. It’s like the same with nail polish. You have that one color that always works for you, but you want to have the possibility to pick the color according to your mood or look. And drugstores are always offering a huge color palette, especially when it comes to lipsticks.
I have to mention that the problem of dry lips is still a part of me. But as I said before, time has changed and cosmetic brands understood that they have to concentrate on their customers wishes. Of course the company decides what they are offering the market, but the customer decides what is going to be a winning product. And therefore cosmetic brands are focusing on the idea of covering any specific need a customer possibly could have.
That’s why we find products for oily skin, acne prone skin & sensitive skin and so on. I really like that and I like the idea of lip products especially for dry lips! Not just because of the fact that I have to deal with it. But have you ever heard someone saying I have too oily lips??? I guess dry lips are much more common, right?
Since I have recognized that there are moisturizing lipsticks available, I love to play a little with these and I’m not willing to stay away from lipsticks anymore.

Long story short and let me come to the point: I know I’m not the only person faced with that problem and that’s why I would like to share with you, my favorite drugstore lipsticks for dry lips.


The very first brand I have recognized offering these special products is MANHATTAN COSMETICS (I don’t know, if they really have been the first ones) and they call this lipstick line “INTENSE MOISTURE & GLOSS.”



CONSISTANCY:
The creamiest lipstick I can imagine.
COLOR RANGE:
There are not so many different colors (maybe a total of 8) and overall more neutral colors. The individual shades are very close to each other. When you are searching for a nude color, probably you will find the right one amongst this collection.
FINISH:
This lipstick looks super glossy and provides a good coverage with an opaque characteristic. No glitter or shimmer included. If you normally would prefer a lipgloss, but they are not thick enough for you when it comes to coverage, then you should try one of these lipsticks.
DURABILITY:
As long you are not willing to kiss or eat or drink, they lipstick will last a couple of hours.
SCENT:
It smells very sweet & reminds me on cotton candy.
TOLERABILITY:
As mentioned before, there definitely has been some scent added. That’s always a risky thing for sensitive lips. But I did not notice any irritation.
FEELING ON LIPS:
You can immediately feel that your lips become moisturized. But it feels how it looks, glossy & wet. I can imagine that this is not likeable for everyone.
PACKAGING:
It Looks classical with a mainly deep red body and black detail running around the center. It has a metal finish. In my opinion it looks like a premium lipstick, but a little boring as well. The known cursive written M is not obvious, because it has been molded onto the top cap.
PRICE:
Roughly € 5,-
ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
This is probably just my opinion, but I prefer products which have a significant name, for each individual shade/color I can identify with. Of course the colors of the Intense Moisture & Gloss range have individual names, too. Or better say codes like 53G. But that’s not what I want to call a significant name.


(Here you can see swatches of the colors I own)
On top no. 56E & down below no.53G

Let’s continue with Jade Maybelline’s version “MOISTURE EXTREME”- Lipstick.


CONSISTANCY:
No difference to any other lipstick.
COLOR RANGE:
The color range is huge. On the German homepage there are 41 colors listed. But to be honest I have not seen a drugstore that would offer all of them. In addition to the basic collection they have additional categories called the “Silky Glam Collection” & “Natural Nudes Collection”. I guess everyone would find a favorite color in between.
FINISH:
They offer different finishes. The problem is that they do not mention which finish the certain colors have, therefore you need to try out. They have very sheer shades, which just leave some shimmer on your lips. They have luster, pearly and glittery colors. But I have not found any matte shade so far.
DURABILITY:
It requires a touch up every 1-1 ½ hours.
SCENT:
The scent is intense and smells like vanilla.
TOLERABILITY:
There is one color so far, that was not suitable for my lips and caused a little irritation. Probably that happened because of the included glitter.
FEELING ON LIPS:
At the beginning you won’t notice that you have anything on. But you will notice, when your lips need a touch up, cause your lips start to lose their softness.
PACKAGING:
It’s overall nothing special. It has a red color and a rectangular shape. But it lays good in the hands.
PRICE:
Roughly € 5,-
ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:
There is one disadvantage I would like to mention. It happened twice that the product itself loses the connection to the casing (it’s not broken).

From left to right: no. 115/pink porcelain (or no. 403/porcelaine rose); no. 128/silver rose (or no. 77/rose argenté); no. 117 (or no. 417)/satin sunrise; no. 485/lush papaya (or no. 406/ tendre papaye). The numbering & names in brackets are probably meant to be the identification in France.

The last candidate and probably my favorite product line is “Moisturizing Color” by ESPRIT. It’s also the line that made me feel the most skeptical as well. Just because of the fact that Esprit is well known as a clothing brand. Often a company that tries to expand their product supply and adds a completely new field will offer nothing as good as the original work is known for. But I can say different about Esprit!


CONSISTANCY:
At seems to be dry in comparison to other lipsticks cause it does not go on very smooth.
COLOR RANGE:
You can decide between a lot of different colors (25 in total) and you will find every possible tone no matter if you prefer darker reddish or brown colors or really bright summer colors.
FINISH:
Most of the colors have a matte finish as far as I have seen, some of them do have a little touch of shimmer.
DURABILITY:
This lipstick last the whole day. Of course it’s not looking the same in the evening anymore, when you have applied it in the morning. It loses some intensity during the day, but there is always a little bit of color left, so that your lips are never looking naked. Even if you drink a lot it will remain on your lips.
SCENT:
These ones have the typical flavor that a lot of lipsticks implicate. It smells slightly waxy, but not displeasing.
TOLERABILITY:
First of all Esprit Cosmetics have been declared as hypoallergenic. But this is easy to say. I have not tried anything else besides their lipsticks until yet. The lipsticks really do not irritate my lips. FEELING ON LIPS:
The lips are feeling super healthy and soft and I often forget that I have something on my lips. Most important is that I still have moisturized lips the next day!
PACKAGING:
Again the packaging is nothing special, but it looks elegant with the reddish-brown color and silver details.
PRICE:
Thinking of this as a drugstore product it is a little pricey. It cost round about € 8,-, but the quality makes it worth to pay for it.

no. 208/bohemian pink

I hope I was able to help you with my experiences and thoughts! And if you have any recommendations please let me know, I’m curious what else is there on the market.

No comments: