Friday, September 24, 2010

My Concealer-Lovers !

I know that nearly everyone has to try a bunch of different concealers, till the perfect covering friend has been found. And I promise I know what I am talking about! First of all my skincolor is super fair and you should find a concealer that is one or two shades lighter than your foundation (when you want to use it for your eye area). But if you already are such a fair person like me, it’s nearly impossible to find a lighter tone. The truth is, you may won’t even find a shade that would match your foundation, not thinking about a lighter shade.

Besides that I’m not just confronted with a color/shade problem. In addition I also have very dry skin, especially around my eyes. That means I also have to find a concealer offering somehow a moisturizing characteristic.

And the most common problem is the coverage. It’s hard to find a concealer, that really covers the imperfections. Maybe you do not really know, what undertone you should go for to neutralize the bluish shadows underneath your eyes or what shade is right for red spots and rosacea. Maybe you know what you have to get for yourself, but you just can’t find it. Honestly I had a lot of problems and it took me years to find a solution. Which is quite embarrassing as a make-up interested person, thinking that I know a lot about the products on the market enhancing your beauty. Shame on me, but I really had to ask my make-up artist.

Before I show you, what works best for me, I want to give you a few informations, which could help you to find the right product for you.

- What has worked best for me so far, is the corrector & concealer combination. That is what I apply when I’m going to a special occasion, where pictures will be taken. Because on photos your shadows can be visible, even though you are not seeing them in natural lighting. Basically you just have to know, that the corrector, should have a rose/pink or orange undertone and the concealer a yellow undertone, when you are going for this combination. But this looks too heavy for everyday in my opinion.
- Use your fingers to work concealer into your skin and not just the brush. The warms of your fingers will help to get the perfect result.
- Apply the concealer in several layers if you need to. But wait a couple of minutes, after you have applied the first coat. Sometimes it’s looking better after some time and you do not have to go over that area again.
- Keep two different shades of concealer. One that matches your foundation exactly to provide extra coverage, where your foundation is not strong enough. And a second one that is meant to be used on your eyearea, which should be 1 or 2 shades lighter than your foundation. The lighter shade is also good for contouring.
- If you want to cover red parts then you should go for a concealer with green undertones. But put the foundation on top, because you don’t want to walk around with green areas on your skin.
- If you have brownish areas (e.g. age marks), you should go for something yellow based.

I hope that these tips, were somehow helpful and your long journey of trying to find the right concealer is now close to an end.

As I said you should keep, two different shades of concealer. On the picture you can see my two shades next two each other.


The yellowish color on top/(slightly) right side is the matching color to my foundation. The color underneath/(slightly) left is my version of the undereye concealer, which is more of a pinkish shade.



Let’s start with the Bobby Brown-Creamy Concealer in porcelain, which you can see on the left side. I love this concealer, because it provides the best coverage I could find. But it’s not looking as heavy as camouflage products, therefore it’s not looking unnatural. And even though the consistency is very thick, it’s not going to make my skin dry. This is also what I’m using on top of my corrector. But it has the tendency to run into wrinkles (when you use it around the eyes), that’s why you have to put some powder on top. I think I can easily say, everyone will find the right color in the huge range that Bobbi Brown offers. If you already have found the right foundation color, you will immediately have the right color of your concealer as well, because both product categories offer the same color range.



For my eye area I have to use something different, that provides a moisturizing effect, therefore I’ve decided for the Moisturizing Concealer by MAC in NW 15 (but I could also go for NC15/NW20/NC20). I found this concealer over a year ago and I’m not going to give up using this one ever in my life. The flakeyness around my eyes is gone, which always was a huge problem in my case. I have to say, that this concelaer is not giving me full coverage, but with some foundation underneath, I’m perfectly fine.
Both concealer have never irritated my eyes and that’s why I’m saying that these ones are also perfect for people with sensitive eyes.

No comments: